The idea was birthed as I considered all of the negative comments I've heard from the Christian
community towards President Obama. We are told to honor, respect, and submit to the authorities that God has placed over us. I admit that I frequently think that I know better than those whom God has placed over me, and have been guilty of disrespecting and dishonoring them because of that. I have been convicted of this sin of pride. Scripture says that we bring judgement on ourselves when we rebel against the authority that He has established. And He's established EVERY authority!
So what should our response be toward a leader who goes against our beliefs and convictions?
- Pray for them
- Do not make false or malicious statements about them
- Submit to them (as long as this doesn't mean disobedience to the Ultimate Authority--God)
- Respect and Honor them
- Live quiet and peaceful lives
So this is the idea: I would love to see families across the US flood the president with letters of blessings for the president in the month of February(and beyond Feb for that matter). What a testimony of God's grace to ALL men, when we show ourselves to be remarkably different from the world. Instead of fighting as the world does, let us do battle on our knees. It is through prayer that we become united with the plans of God and with each other. And as we all know, the prayers of the righteous are effective. God promises to answer us as we obey Him. What would that look like to see the White House bombarded with letters of prayer and blessings? It would look like people who lay aside their rights and political agendas, in order to love those whom God loves. And God loves Obama!(And all left-winged liberals for that matter)
What to do.
- Talk as a family about the importance of praying for our leaders
- Talk about those areas that our leaders support that are in direct opposition to God and your personal convictions. Pray regularly together as a family about these things
- Have your children write(in their own handwriting) a prayer for the president
- Parents should write out a prayer also.
- Take all of your prayers and put them in a blue envelope and send to the president. (This will be a "blue flag" for the white house. When they see the blue envelope, they know to expect a blessing! :0) )
- Mail to:(include your e-mail address in your correspondence)
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
- Or go to: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to send a message electronically
Here are some ideas of what to pray for:
- Good family relationships
- That God would make Himself known to President Obama
- That he would do those things that are good and right
- That God would surround him with people who seek the President's highest good and the good of the nation
- That God would make his motives pure
- That God would accomplish His perfect purposes through President Obama
- That He would ALWAYS speak the truth
- Children can pray specifically for his daughters: Malia and Sasha
- Women can pray for the first lady: Michelle
- Don't forget about the vice president and the presidents aides, staff, etc.
1PE 2: 17 Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
RO 13:1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.Scriptures to consider: 1 Peter 2:13-17 , Romans 13:1-5, Exodus 9:15-16, Psalm 33:10-11, 75:6-7,Isaiah 37:21-22,33-38;Daniel 4:24-37; Hebrews 11:32-34
Trusting God to do something beyond my expectations in the White House,