Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Waves of Texture




Here is the first of a serious of pieces I'm working on which integrates lots of texture (papyrus and other handmade papers with natural fibers) on sculpted watercolor paper.  I've been sculpting watercolor paper for about a year, as well as using watercolor paper to create interesting affects.  Initially, I started trying to make paper look like metal.  I came pretty darn close, I'd have to say.  It's fun looking at people's reactions when they realize that it's not really metal, but paper.  I'll have to post a couple of pieces in the future.  I'm really enjoying all of the interesting affects I'm able to create with water color paper, and natural fibers.  I'm thinking about adding some contrasting textures to future pieces like silk fabric. In the piece above, I used my background to provide a contrast to all of the texture in the sculpture.  The background has some texture, but the texture is a lot smoother.

If you want to experiment, take some water color paper, wet it really good, then bend and shape it into interesting shapes.  Let it dry and it stays that way.  There's your paper sculpture.  Experiment with the paper weight.  The thicker the paper, the sturdier the sculpture.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment